This information is relevant to customers with hosting accounts with Always Amber.
FTP is an acronym for File Transfer Protocol and is used to transfer files between 2 connected computers. You can use FTP to exchange files between computer accounts, transfer files between an account and a desktop computer, or access online software archives. Keep in mind, however, that many FTP sites are heavily used and require several attempts before connecting.
The easiest method for uploading files to your website is to use an FTP Client.
The first thing you need, is a FTP client. A popular (and free) FTP client is called FileZilla.
1. Download FileZilla: http://filezilla-project.org/download.php?type=client (available for both Windows & Mac)
2. Install FileZilla.
3. Run FileZilla.
4. In the "Host" field, enter your domain name.
5. In the "Username" field, enter your cpanel username (or FTP username if you've created more than one FTP account).
6. In the "Password" field, enter your cpanel password (or FTP password if you've created more than one FTP account).
7. Leave port set at "21" or if you leave it blank this will be default.
8. Click "Quick Connect"
The LEFT side shows the files on YOUR PC. The RIGHT side shows the file on your server. Double-click the "public_html/" folder on the RIGHT hand side. This is the "root" of your website. All you need do now, is find the files you want to upload on the LEFT side of the screen and drag them to the RIGHT side. This will upload the files to your website.
You can also use the File Manager that comes with cPanel, you can view a video tutorial on using File Manager at http://www.cpanel.net/media/tutorials/filemanager.htm.